Wednesday, March 18, 2020

3/18: Return to US

I got up at 3AM, Issa picked me up at 330AM. I didn't sleep well at all being anxious to go back.
Issa was very nice, Becca married his best friend. We talked about our interests, and my tour, and just random--he had very good English. We made it in just about an hour to the airport, around 430AM. I had to go through initially a bag scan, no need to take out liquids, but just a quick scan I guess. Then since I was business class I got to go to the front of the passport check line---felt so special. It took about 20 min to get my passport checked and then get my ticket at the counter and then went through security. I was the second person that morning to go through.
Then I had to wait for about an hour for the plane to arrive and board it. There were not many of us boarding---not sure why I had to buy a business class ticket.
I started to not feel that great- a little pressure on my chest, scratchy throat, would only cough when my throat got dry---maybe once an hour. Hope all that goes away and its not coronavirus. We boarded quickly-I was in row 2-actually sat on the aisle side and was suppose to be window seat, but the girl next to me (from Canada), she didn't say anything so I just went it.
I watched Brian Banks--football movie being wrongly accused of sexual assault. I also watched Christopher Robin. Couldn't sleep much which was shocking.
This flight was 6 hours. I was welcomed with a fresh raspberry drink then had breakfast. Business class was full but economy had basically no one-not sure why I couldn't get an economy seat.
The first served was an appetizer--fruit, honeycomb and butter, roll, 3 cheeses, cucumber and tomatoes.
Then main entree was a cheese omelette with spinach and herb potatoes--it was a small serving but perfect after a large appetizer plate.
Then caught like 30 min of sleep-I was shocked I did't just sleep the whole thing but I think I was on so much adrenaline I couldn't relax. I got some tea to help my throat---not it was only scratchy. I didn't want the coronavirus--scary to go back to the states---all the stores are empty, no toilet paper, shelves empty, seriously nuts!
Got another snack before landing and it was a sandwich with cheese, green and red peppers and a marble cake-both fairly bland.
I arrived in Istanbul, Turkey midday and had to walk a while to the next flight---this airport was huge, very clean and now there were a ton of masks. I just wanted to be on home soil so very impatient to get on next flight.
I had to go through an initial scan when got off the first plane---didn't have to take my liquids or shoes off, just a quick scan. Then at the next gate, I had my ticket checked, passport checked and then bags opened a little and they wipe inside and wiped down my body.
I had to wait like 15 min or so and then boarded the second plane. This one was a step above---I had a seat that I could lay down on! It was beautiful business class. It made me feel special!
Again there was like 10 of us in business class and like no one in economy.
This flight was 11 hours and the chair was so comfy-treated like a celebrity!
I ate a lot --served a 4 course meal, someone came and made my bed for me, I laid down for like 6-8 hours, watched a couple movies, listened to some music and was dancing a bit in my seat because I was happy to be almost back to Chicago!
I felt so much better when we took off from Istanbul. Also additionally they gave business class free wifi!! How awesome!! So I could chat with family and friends the whole way home!
Got to ORD around 730PM and was expecting to not leave for a few hours. But was pleasantly surprised when we were like the only plane arriving and got through in 10 minutes. I had to fill out the arrival paperwork and had to be take to the CDC tent but only asked if I went to China or Iran recently. They said I was good to go and then had to wait 10-15 min for my parents to arrive.
They got there and got me and I was relieved! I was scared I would get someone sick by going back to the house but they wanted me to be with them and stay at home.
A shelter in place was then issued----had to stay in the house unless completely necessary to go out. I am still not feeling great, just my vertigo was acting up. I just hope I don't have anything that can be shared! Still taking my Malaria pills. This world is getting crazy, could be at least 30 days before things get to be somewhat normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment