In the middle of the night, we all heard a lion roar. I went to look---had to unzip like 2 inches and use a flashlight but saw nothing.
I slept for about .5-1 hr maybe in total. I was exhausted when my alarm went off. I am so nervous going to breakfast. Everyone else in my group had a changed flight and I was the only one who didn't have one.
I repacked up my things and ate a little (again was not hungry)-they had juice, french toast, pineapple, and mango. There were meats, cheeses, yogurt, cereal, a lot of food--but I wasn't interested in any of it.
I was freaking out---called my mom again but still no resolution and then we were off to Arusha. It was about a 7-8 hour drive back.
One the drive we got stuck a couple times in the mud-Richard did such an amazing job driving and getting us out of the stuck mud. We had mud flying everywhere-huge cravats/holes. We saw lions, zebras, giraffes, elephants, storks. We took our time returning basically. Lots of African massage. Once we got through the bumpy road, we were back to civilization and stopped to eat lunch at the Tanzanite shop/restroom stop we stopped at before. The manager of GA Adventures was there and she shared her condolences about the cancelled trip--she shared that all of the GA Adventures trips all over were cancelled and they would put us up in a hotel. None of the others in my group were interested because they booked one already but I wanted it.
Randy and Kari were getting really cocky and seemed to care only about themselves since we found out about the cancellation----they were really stuck up and could care less about helping anyone else. They also seemed ticked I got a free hotel night now.
We saw a lot of dogs with the Masai people and also wild dogs, dogs were not pets here but rather more used as herders for the goats and cows.
The box lunch we had was chicken sandwich-basically chicken pieces on bread, apple, potato chips, chocolate bar, fruit drink, and a water bottle. The chicken was tasty, but still not hungry---feeling nervous about not finding a new flight. I felt better though because I at least had a night at a hotel. Lorien- girl I went to Costa Rica with, she lives in Mwanza, which is in Tanzania and she was helping me by sending me new flight options. I didn't have any service, no wifi while driving, and service was not great.
We continued driving toward Arusha and made it to the Sheraton--thats where Randy and Kari were staying, Patrick got into a taxi and heading to the airport. Bernadette also took a taxi and headed off to the lodge her insurance company booked her. And then there was me. Gosh I am not really uncomfortable and scared.
The guide and driver and dropped me off at the Outpost Lodge where I would stay one night. There was wifi in the lobby but nothing in the rooms. So I had to stay out in the lobby all night to rebook a flight and communicate.
Right after being left, I called my parents and not get really emotional-was crying and couldn't control it. I was crying because I was all alone and literally didn't know anyone, nothing, no idea really where I was. I was super uncomfortable (I prayed for this trip to be wild and be uncomfortable due to the hard situation I was having with Alex and my relationship being over).
Had my mom, Becca (Sue Stoffel's niece) helping me out-they both found me flights and we would try to book it and then it would disappear. Becca made the final plane ticket purchase for me and it was $2700.00-business class on Turkish Airways. I only had one stop in Istanbul for an hour. Wow what an expensive trip back.
I got to talk with Becca and she was such a nice girl-we laughed a bit because we don't even know each other, but she was so helpful! She lived in Arusha in 2.5 years and married someone from Tanzania. She knew some guys there and one of her friends is a cab driver. His name is Issa and she connected us via WhatsApp. He would come get my at 330am since my flight at is 650am. She felt better about her friend taking me to the airport because she would have them stay with me and make sure my flight was going out.
I then felt ok and much much better because I was going back to U.S. soil. I checked my emails and showered and got ready for bed. My parents tried to exchange my Ethiopian airlines ticket, but they said it would cost over $3300--just outrageous, this is price gouging and that is so not right when you have to get back to the U.S.
I went to sleep for a couple hours and then kept waking up every hour thinking I would have missed my alarm.
I finally told Alex because he messaged me about not being able to pay me and I shared I had bigger problems--so he asked about it and I shared with him. But he was not much help and basically said "that sucks, hope you can get home." He was not very empathetic, what a dick he was.
Kyle Wynn: on the other hand was very friendly and super caring the whole trip. He was flirting with me but actually concerned about me and cared if I got home.
I am happy I am going home because being on the tour was great, but being all alone was not fun. I felt like I was given to the wolves--so not okay G Adventures.
I really have not slept for the last couple nights--so looking forward to sleeping on the planes.
No comments:
Post a Comment